Saturday, July 05, 2008
I'd be embarrassed to tell you how long I've had my new torch (probably over two years) before I actually set it up this week.
I was sort of happy plodding along with my single fuel torch (a Hot Head) and have to say slightly intimidated by having
to introduce a 20 lb. oxygen tank to my workshop. Last summer I made the plunge to purchase an oxygen concentrator which takes the place of the dreaded 20 lb. tank. I feel much better now and EXCITED to see what I can do with this new set up.
I was told the learning curve was somewhat steep - but - not so much. I've tried out a few techniques and although it needs
some tweaking - I'M HAPPY! And actually I've heard similar stories from other glass workers who are having trouble deciding how much to become involved in this aspect of glass work. So my story is not that unusual. I'll post pictures later this week.
Must go play now......
OK - so now I've taken photos of the first few beads. The first group were my first few on this new torch set up. I had that sense of false confidence when I saw them. It was downhill after that. I was also new to using the reduction frits which have beautiful metallics when done correctly but are tricky until you know your torch settings well enough. It requires a reducing flame (fuel rich and lower in oxygen). The leaves were something I was never able to do without having them shatter because of the type of torch I was using before (the Hot Head). It simply wasn't hot enough. These photos don't do them justice as the clarity and color are even nicer. They are addictive so they should only improve with practice...
Posted by Joanna Olson at 3:55 PM