Saturday, December 28, 2013

Painting Local Scenery

A few years ago I thought I'd try my hand at painting in water-colour some buildings in and around
my hometown.  This building housed a wonderful clothing shop for many years.  Before that it was a hardware/antique store.  And now there is a boutique of handcrafted items that helps to fund a charitable organization that builds homes, wells and provides educational material for villages in Peru as well as providing an outlet for local artisans.  On the second floor is a furniture and antique boutique and a caterer/cafĂ© on the main floor.  I love this village that I live in!

Friday, December 27, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened....

This is the beginning of a  9" x 12" oil painting of our daughter Emilie looking at a painting of
Winslow Homer's "The Fog Warning" at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. We lingered in front of that one because it resonated with my husband (retired airline captain) as it represented the many times he had to calculate safe approaches into unfamiliar airports with heavy weather approaching.  We left the museum with our purchase of that poster.  It was left in various corners and closets waiting to be framed until I decided this would be a good Christmas present.  Then I remembered the photo I took of Emilie and thus began the theme for this year's gifts.  Now retired my husband had mentioned on more than one occasion the desire to try fly fishing.  The fishing rod became his main gift supported by the framed poster and my rendition of that day at the museum.  It's always fun when that happens.  So this week, I will continue and hopefully finish the year with this painting. (I had to wrap it in this half finished state!)

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays and especially Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays or better yet...
Merry Christmas!
However you want to say it, that is what I wish for you!

Friday, December 13, 2013

Deck the Halls....

Well I thought I'd challenge myself to painting something other than silver that was highly reflective.
Not as challenging as I thought.  It was the colour red that proved to be the challenge, especially since it takes longer to dry.  And this was supposed to be a "daily small format" that actually needed 3 days to complete.   Since the pigments tend to be somewhat transparent, it can be difficult to get the range of values figured out.  But sometimes overthinking it is the real problem.  

This year's ornaments are out and I will set up some more subject matter like this.