Friday, March 20, 2015

The Start of Something New



Every year, early in the new year for the past three years, I've been taking a 6 week workshop in enamelling on copper.  Having worked with copper when creating jewellery, I had collected many of the necessary components needed to also work with enamels.  A second hand kiln I bought came with a box of enamel powders which, at the time, seemed completely foreign to me.  But now I've been bitten by the bug, and have just ordered more new colours and have a sketchbook of ideas.  I love how one medium can morph into a new one.  For example, using my jewellery saw to cut into the copper shapes created a more exciting copper blank to embellish.  I have to now concentrate on planning my firings to avoid losing the layers of colour to over firing.
It is just challenging enough to be rewarding.

No comments: