Saturday, February 08, 2014

Three Pears on Linen


6" x 6" x 1.5"
Oil on wood panel
$80.00

This is one of those paintings that is deceptive.  It's the third one I've done of this pear series so I felt confident going into it.  But...the lighting was subdued and therefore it surprised me how dark the "white" of the linen had to be painted.  I knew if I kept going, it would work out and it did.  I knew the pears would really come forward against the sombre background and it did.  I can still see a tiny bit of tweaking to do but otherwise I'm happy with it.

I also generally avoid wiping out portions of a painting but I did this time.  I had to wipe out two of the three pears because I used a brush that was too small for the area.  I had forgotten one of my
intentions was to simplify and work more loosely and that means working with a larger brush and
choosing my strokes carefully rather than fussing.  So that necessitated wiping out.  And I'm glad I did.  The switch to the larger brush kept the pears more interesting than they started out.   I will
remind myself to not hesitate wiping out and re-working.

As always, comments, critiques and constructive criticism is always welcome.

No comments: